Thursday, July 29, 2010

Best Brussels Sprouts Recipe



Ingredients:
1lb. brussels sprouts (washed, trimmed, quartered)
diced onion (to taste --I like 2-3 green onions or 1/2 reg. onion)
2-4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
1 lemon (juice and zest)
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper (to taste)

Directions:
Wash, trim, and quarter 1 lb. of brussels sprouts. Heat 2-3 Tbsp of olive oil on high heat (cooking on high is key, because you want to sear the edges of the brussels sprouts). Add sprouts to hot oil before the oil smokes and burns, then stir frequently while still allowing edges to darken. Sear 4-5 minutes --reduce heat if necessary during this process, but not too much. After sprouts are seared, reduce to medium heat and add onions, garlic, salt, and pepper (I prefer a little red pepper, but black is fine). Stir ingredients together and then add 1/2 cup of water. Cover and allow to cook approx. 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and zest. I like to sprinkle green onion tops over as a garnish. This is a great dish to serve with brown rice or cous cous.

Remember, the key to delicious brussels sprouts (like most vegetables) is to NOT overcook them. Let me know what you think, and feel free to experiment--I've thought of adding red or finger-hot peppers to the recipe, but haven't gotten around to it yet; I love this dish too much as it is for right now...
bon appetite!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Chef ... how ya doing? :) I subscribe to your channel on YouTube which I love (IrishCol1only) and now am loving reading up on your blog..only problem is I want to follow it (add you to my reading list) but I must be stupid or not with it today but cant find a follow button to subscribe to your blog here ... any ideas on where to look cos so far I'm not seeing anything! Apologies for the stupid question, oh and I will for sure be trying out this recipie, sounds great! I actually quite like sprouts, and have dressed them by frying off in a little butter and topping mixing through some chopped walnuts and breadcrumbs fried in a lttle butter and garlic with some small chopped ham through it .. delicious, so will def be trying out this! Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blog subscribe button! I guess I should make one of those handy....thanks :^)
    ...and butter and walnuts are always a tasty turn. I just had sprouts 2 days ago and now I'm hungry for them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the recipe....Though.... I'd delete the onion and add some honey.
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY delicious! My kids kinda like brussel sprouts but the adults don't care for them. After making this recipe we all LOVED them. I think quartering them helped b/c the seasoning get all into the little grooves. And btw we being from NOLA put Tony Chacherrie's on just about EVERYTHING! Fabulous recipe ty for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attractive, post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have liked browsing your blog posts. After all, I will surely subscribe to your feed, and I hope you will write again soon! best stainless steel cookware

    ReplyDelete